There are very few things that I love more than taking a basic cake mix and dressing it up to seem fancy! In this case, I took a simple vanilla cake mix and turned it into a delicious cookie and cream cupcake! Yum! Here’s how:
1 box vanilla or yellow cake mix
Any ingredients required by your cake mix (in my case it was 3 eggs, 1 cup water and 1/3 cup vegetable oil)
1 package chocolate sandwich cookies
1-2 tbsp flour
1. Mix the ingredients for your batter as instructed on the box of your chosen mix
2. Place chocolate sandwich cookies in a sandwich bag.
The amount will vary depending on how much cookie you want running through your cupcakes. I like a lot, so I used about 20 cookies.
3. Smash cookies until you get the size pieces you want
4. Pour cookie pieces into a small bowl
5. Add 1 tbsp flour to the cookies and stir until the pieces are coated
The flour will help prevent your cookie pieces from sinking to the bottom of your batter. This trick also works well with other things like fruit and chocolate chips! It also works with other batters like pancake for example.
6. Add cookie pieces to cake batter. Mix them together.
7. Repeat steps 2-6 as desired
I started out using 10 cookies, but found that wasn’t enough for my taste. I repeated steps 2-6 a second time.
8. Put batter into cupcake tins.
I prefer not to line them with paper, but I do use cooking spray.
9. Bake as directed
Cookies and Cream Frosting
This frosting was super simple to make! I just took a can of vanilla frosting and stirred in some cookie piece. Voila! A delicious and simple frosting that seems fancy!
If you’re interested in more ways to dress up vanilla cake batter, check out my squidoo lens Vanilla Cupcake Batter – 3 Ways.
And a huge thanks to Mind Design Grafx for featuring items from my 5 Yellow Birds, Big Ben Glows and Monster Bear Lines on the blog (4/18), Zazzle Your Home! If your looking for home decor items, you should definitely check it out!
I’d love to hear what you thought about this recipe and if you tried it! Feel free to leave a comment!