Several factors came together for Grim with Flower to happen. The color scheme was inspired as part of my sock challenge. It’s the six in the series.I came up with the subject after watching the documentary Far Out Isn’t Far Enough: The Tomi Ungerer Story. (It’s an interesting documentary. I’d recommend checking it out.) Tomi Ungerer was a childrens’ book illustrator among other things. One of the themes that seemed to keep cropping up was opposites and the juxtaposition of opposites.
The idea of opposites fascinated me. After I thought about it, I was inspired to do Grim with Flower. The idea of the Grim Reaper taking some time to enjoy the beauty of a flower and life struck me as being an interesting idea and an interesting opposite.
A few fun tidbits:
- This adorable Grim Reaper character first appeared in Grim Reaper with Heart
- The cute Grim Reaper character came about because I was learning how to draw kawaii style
- Some of the other sock challenge designs are: Bears Flying Planes, Polar Bear Eating Ice Cream, Stripes in Gray, Bokeh Inspired Colorful Hearts
- For those of you who don’t know, in the beginning of 2013 I was in an artistic rut and decided to do something about it. I photograph the socks I wore everyday in February 2013 and planned to make a piece of art based on the socks’ design)
- I am a fan of the show Grimm
Do you have a documentary recommendation or a way to get out of a creative rut! Feel free to leave a comment!
Grim with Flower not your thing? That’s okay! Check out some of the work by other talent artist! (These links (and other inks throughout the post) are affiliate links. If you would like to purchase any of the pieces, just click on the pic!)
From other talented artist:
Sympathy Pink Camellia Flower on Black and White Card by Valerie’s Gallery
Happy Birthday Grandpa card by Fritz Cartoons
|Mom – Happy Mother’s Day – Alphabet Art card by ABC by Sue|
|Humorous birthday on tax day cartoon card by Bruce Bolinger|
Korean New Year card with rose of Sharon card by Eugenia Bacon
Grim Reaper with Heart card by Valerie Waters